Friday, January 23, 2015

Finding Space, Finding Time


**I just re-discovered this. This post was never published and I'm not sure why. It spoke to me today. I have been very focused on running, on swimming, on a million other things, but I have neglected my mindfulness and my quietness. This is what I needed to remember today.**
 
I have this problem. My problem is that I don't have enough time in my day to meditate or save some space/time for quietness. However, in staff meeting on a particular Sunday, I realized (after a short formational piece at the beginning of the meeting led by Rev. Aimee) that I'm wrong. I do have time in my day, but I CHOOSE to not make space. I think that it has to be this absolutely silent, no children, no talking, monk-like moment. This is crazy talk. That will never be my life, nor do I necessarily desire that life (okay,once in a while, yes, I desire that life). I realized after attempting some form of quiet, alone time before the kids woke up (and not getting said quiet, alone time because Baby Girl woke up), that what my soul craves is not those carefully planned and constructed moments, but using the moments I am given--moments waiting for me to discover them.                                                                                                                                                      

Sometimes, I find that I'm alone, but am unsure for how long. Sometimes, I find that I am joined by a couple of little people. These are the times where my silence and meditation look like this picture. Yoga Pretzel cards, candle, and finger labyrinth. Each card guides me into position, slowly, and usually in four parts. As I move through each position into the final pose, the card offers a small meditation to guide me. I have learned that, in this moment given, the space I need to give is in my heart and my head. I forget that. I forget that timing isn't everything, but using a moment, that's what is valuable.
I also forget that moments happen when we least expect them. I washed 4 pairs of muddy shoes yesterday (yes, this meant that for the day I had 6 kiddos in the house-- 2 babies, 2 three-year olds, and 2 four-year olds. Yes, I was asked if I had 3 sets of twins). I used this moment to create silence and pray. I was given a moment and I graciously took that moment and created a space. A space for prayer, for silence, for stillness, for peace.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers